Make Jezebel's Pan Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras
Learn how to cook one of Restaurant Jezebel's delicious signature dishes.
Pan Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras with a Sweet Thai Chili Glaze
Courtesy of Restaurant Jezebel
Sweet Thai chili sauce
6 Tbs sambal chili sauce (or 2-3 fresh red chiles to taste)
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 cups rice wine vinegar
2 cups simple syrup (2-ish cups H20 + 2 cups sugar)
Salt to taste
Cornstarch slurry at the end to thicken
2 cups balsamic vinegar di Modena
2 Tbs rose hip jam (Hero brand)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole black pepper
10 whole coriander seeds
2 cups heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized)
1/4 cup cultured buttermilk
2 cups water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
6 fresh bay leaves
2 whole peeled garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole black pepper
1/4 teaspoon whole juniper berries
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1.5 teaspoon granulated cane sugar
1/4" Julianne of peeled, young, firm carrots.
3oz slice of grade A Hudson valley foie gras.
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
1. Cook all ingredients together (except cornstarch slurry) for 15 min & reduce by 30%
2. Thicken to preference with cornstarch, if desired. Boil for at least 3 more min. Set aside overnight for flavors to meld & strain.
1. Mix all ingredients and reduce by 70%
2. Strain & cool.
1. Combine & heat to 80F
2. Put in a 32 oz deli container or glass jar and set aside covered in a warm place overnight.
3. Stir & refrigerate over night for flavor development.
1. Bring everything to a hard boil except carrots for 10 min. Set aside, cool & refrigerate over night.
2. Add carrots & let macerate in the fridge for 36-48 hours to taste
1. Lightly score foie slice.
2. Put score side down in a very hot pre-heated pan.
3. Lower heat to medium. Sear undisturbed until darkly caramelized.
4. Flip carefully & turn off heat.
5. Feel the foie when it gives some but has some firmness (not hard) it is done.
6. Remove with slotted spoon & blot excess oil on clean dish towel.
1. Mix the two sauces at 7 parts sweet Thai chili sauce & 1 part balsamic reduction and bring to a hard boil for 5 min. Set aside & keep warm.
2. Smear plate with a teaspoon cream fraiche.
3. Top with seared foie gras.
4. Nappe the foie gras with sweet Thai chili sauce
5. Garnish with pickled carrots blotted dry.