But the latest stomach-churning discovery is somehow even more disturbing: Two people in Florida discovered a dead bat in a bagged salad mix they had purchased. Unfortunately, they had already eaten some of the Organic Marketside Spring Mix before they noticed the animal.
The bat was sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for rabies testing, but "the animal's decayed state prevented a definitive test of whether it had rabies," as reported by The Guardian. Double gross.
Although rabies transmission is "extremely uncommon" from eating an infected animal, the two people were recommended for treatment. Happily, neither has displayed any rabies symptoms so far.
Fresh Express, the company that produced the tainted salad mix, recalled the product, which was sold in Walmart stores in the southeastern U.S. (It has a best-used date of April 14 and the production code G089B19 if you want to double-check the bagged salad in your fridge before digging in…which we highly, highly recommend.)
We're all about eating more greens, but with this latest news, plus the all-too-frequent salmonella outbreaks linked to pre-packaged salad mixes, it's definitely time to start shopping at the farmers market.
The Feast is Bravo’s digital destination for foodies, serving fresh culinary inspo, piping hot celebrity food coverage, diet and wellness trends, plus the kitchen hacks and tools you never knew you needed. Like us on Facebook and visit daily for a curated menu of essential food news, from seriously thought provoking to just plain fun.