"Dunn dunn, dunn dunn, duuunnnnnnnn dun dun" is the official theme song of sharks. Sharks can swim while sleeping. Sharks are apex predators that have inspired a movie franchise so revered it hasn't even been rebooted yet. Sharks loose teeth all throughout their lifetime.
These are common shark facts, but we are here today to bring you much less common shark facts. Sure, they may be less common because you probably don’t need to know them, but you won’t know that for sure until you read through them all. C'mon! Get in the Shark Week spirit!
1. Freshwater sharks pee at a rate 20 times faster than saltwater sharks. River sharks take in extra water and then urinate into the stream around them in order to survive in fresh water.
2. Six years before Jaws came out, Burt Reynolds starred in a shark movie with the uninspired title Shark.
3. The Aztecs tried to repel sharks by attaching strings of chili peppers to their canoes, though modern science doubts its effectiveness.
4. Blue sharks boot and rally. They eat until they regurgitate and then go back to eating.
5. Sharks in cold climates can heat their eyeballs.
6. Sharks can’t get cavities because their teeth are coated in fluoride.
7. Sharks were known as “sea dogs” until the 16th century.
8. Nurse sharks are the laziest of all the shark breeds. They refuse to move in cold months.
9. Some sharks swim in a figure eight when frightened.
10. Sharks hate the patriarchy: Men account for nearly 90 percent of shark attack victims.
Unleashed is Bravo's celebration of pamper-worthy pets and how to spoil them. Want more? Then Like us on Facebook to stay connected to our daily updates.