Believe it or not, summer is just around the corner. And this super-simple and delicious frozen mousse is just what you need to get you through those hot summer days.
The Frozen Honey Mousse is one of Top Chef alum Sam Talbot's favorite recipes form his new cookbook, 100% Real. It's "really spectacular," he said in an interview with The Feast. "Just really vibrant flavors, really easy to make."
Get the recipe here, then watch a video of Sam making the mousse below.
Frozen Honey Mousse With Lime And Sea Salt
Hands-on: 30 minutes Total: 2 hours, 30 minutes Serves 8
This summer dessert is as pretty to present as it is delicious. The acidity of the lime smooths out the honey—and honey, we know, cures everything.
- 3 large pasteurized eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup blossom honey
- 1 (13.66-ounce) can coconut milk, chilled at least 4 hours
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Lime zest
- Flaked sea salt (such as Maldon)
1. Whisk together the egg yolks and honey in a medium-size heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low, whisking constantly, until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes.
2. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment on high until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
3. Without shaking or tilting can, carefully open coconut milk. Remove solidified coconut cream from top, and place in a 2-cup measuring cup. Add liquid from can to equal 1 1/2 cups, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently fold the egg whites and honey mixture into the cream mixture; spread in single layer in a 13- x 9-inch glass baking dish. Freeze 2 hours.
4. Spoon into parfait glasses; top with lime zest and sea salt.
Excerpted from 100% Real by Sam Talbot. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Time Inc. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
The Feast is Bravo’s digital destination for foodies, serving fresh culinary inspo, piping hot celebrity food coverage, diet and wellness trends, plus the kitchen hacks and tools you never knew you needed. Like us on Facebook and visit daily for a curated menu of essential food news, from seriously thought provoking to just plain fun.