Asparagus Salad Japanese Tomato Sashimi and Banana Polenta - Recipe Finder
Asparagus Salad Japanese Tomato Sashimi and Banana PolentaPhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge
- ½ cup polenta
- 2 cups milk
- 1 banana, small diced
- 1 bunch asparagus, tips only (reserve some stems for garnish)
- 300g mustard, blend with
- 3g KAPPA-carrageenan
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- ½ cup tarragon leaves
- 1g low acyl gellan gum
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeds only
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat milk to a gentle boil. Rain polenta into milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Keep stirring over low heat until cooked through. Fold in bananas and season to taste. Set aside.
2. Blanch asparagus tips in salted water, shock in an ice bath, and drain.
3. Blend mustard and KAPPA-carrageenan. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Dip the asparagus in the mix to coat into a gel.
4. For arugula-tarragon puree, boil arugula and tarragon leaves in salted water and drain. Place in a blender and puree until smooth. Measure out 300 grams of puree and blend with low acyl gellan gum. Pour contents into a container to chill. Once set, blend again until smooth.
5. Season some raw shaved asparagus stems with extra virgin olive oil and salt.
1. Spoon banana polenta onto plate.
2. Arrange gelled asparagus tips and small mound of arugula-tarragon puree.
3. Garnish with fresh tomato seeds and shaved asparagus.