Top Chef, Season 9, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge, Winner
1. Trim beef off the bone and cut into neat squares.
2. Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
3. Sear on both sides on the hot flattop grill with canola oil.
4. In a rondeau, caramelize onion, celery, carrot, 5 cloves garlic, lemongrass and dried Thai chilies. Add tomato paste and caramelize further. Deglaze with red wine. Pour into pressure cookers, reserving a 1/5 of liquid for red curry sauce.
5. Puree soy, ginger, rest of garlic, and kiwi.
6. Add ribs to pressure cookers. Top off with beef stock and the puree. Put lids on top and let it start to whistle on high heat. Lower the flame and let cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender, leave braising liquid. Glaze in red curry sauce.
1. In a medium saucepan, caramelize sliced shallots, ginger, garlic and lemongrass. Deglaze with red wine – stock mixture. Add red curry paste, tamarind paste, fish sauce and coconut milk and simmer to marry flavors for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, soak 2 whole guajillo chilies in hot water. Puree the soaked chilies, taking out the seeds, with the curry base and strain through a chinois.
Potato Basil Puree:
1. Cover the Yukon gold potatoes with cold water and bring to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile sauté Thai basil leaves and sliced shallots. Puree with heavy cream, warm on the stove. Keep the butter out at room temperature. When the potatoes are cooked through, drain potatoes. Let steam for 2 minutes. Pass through a food mill with butter. Fold in hot heavy cream, salt and pepper.
Green Apple Kimchi:
1. Shave apple through mandolin. Juice limes over apple, and add salt and Korean chili flakes.
1. Sauté with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Spicy Chili Peanuts:
1. Fry peanuts in fryer. When golden, toss in chili garlic paste, salt and sugar.