Cactus and Tuna Ceviche with Pipián - Recipe Finder
Cactus and Tuna Ceviche with PipiánPhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 5, Quickfire Challenge Winner
- 1 Nopal cactus pad, cut 1” X 1”
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pipian sauce (recipe below)
- 8 slices #1 sushi-grade tuna, cut thin 1” X 1” (approx 5 oz total)
- Lime wedges
For Pipian Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- ½ tablespoon jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup pepitos (toasted pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For Cactus Fruit Puree:
- 2 oz prickly pear cactus fruit
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. For cactus, take 1” X 1” pieces of cactus and cover with salt. Let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse off under water and then marinate with lime juice and olive oil for 5 minutes.
2. For pipian sauce, sauté garlic, shallot, and jalapeno until soft. Transfer to food processor and add remaining ingredients. Puree to desired consistency. Season to taste and set aside.
3. For cactus fruit puree, blend ingredients in a food processor to desired consistency. Season to taste and set aside.
1. Spoon 2 tablespoons pipian sauce on plate and spread across.
2. Starting with cactus, lay alternating pieces of cactus and tuna over the pipian sauce.
3. Drizzle a small spoonful of cactus fruit puree in front of the components.
4. Serve with a lime wedge on the side.