Chile Relleno Stuffed with Seitan - Recipe Finder
Chile Relleno Stuffed with SeitanPhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 1, Elimination Challenge
- 1 medium poblano, roasted
- 1 ripe yellow plantain, peeled and medium diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and deveined
- 1 habanero, seeded and deveined
- 1 Vidalia onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 2 heads portabello mushrooms, tops peeled, gills out, medium diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cotija
- 2 cups "wheat meat" seitan
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound tomatillos, washed and husked
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup honey
1. For salsa, combine tomatillos, onion, garlic, and scallions in a mixing bowl. Coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a grill and char (if no grill, roast in a heavy bottom pan in the oven). Remove and place in a container to cool. Put mixture in blender with cilantro, lime juice, and honey and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a bottom heavy pan. Sauté habanero, onions, jalapeno, and garlic until aroma releases. Add in seitan and work around pan for approximately 7- 8 minutes. Add in mushrooms and plantains, and gently work in pan to coat with butter so plantains can allow sugars to release.
3. After seasoning stuffing with salt and pepper, fold in all cheeses. Spread out mixture on a sheet pan to cool down enough to be able to handle. When stuffing is cool, mix in lime zest and scallions.
4. Make a slit down the side of roasted poblano and gently pull out seeds. Gently fill pepper with the stuffing through the slit. Don’t force in too much or it will break. Place in freezer for one hour.
5. Made a standard breading station. Dredge pepper in seasoned flour, then in egg wash, and finally in breadcrumbs.
6. Place 2 tablespoons of butter in an oven safe sauté pan. Brown pepper on all sides and place in 350-degree F oven for 10 minutes. Remove and season butter crust with salt and pepper.
1. Spoon salsa onto plate and spread.
2. Place pepper across salsa streak.
3. Garnish with lime slice and radish slices.
The two Bravolebrities join Stephen Collins and Brandie Malay for a design-themed panel talk show.Read More
The Real Housewife shares her fear with her Twitter followers.Read More