"Cuban Sandwich with Potato Salad & Plantain Chips" Cream Cheese Mousse, Passion Fruit Mustard and Strawberry Caramel - Recipe Finder
"Cuban Sandwich with Potato Salad & Plantain Chips" Cream Cheese Mousse, Passion Fruit Mustard and Strawberry CaramelPhoto by:
Top Chef Just Desserts, Season 2, Episode 9, Elimination Challenge, Winner
- “Cuban Bread” – Brioche
- “Mustard” – Passion Fruit Fluid Gel
- “Ham” – Strawberry Caramel
- “Pork” – Cream Cheese Mousse
- “Cheese” – Flexible White Chocolate
- “Pickles” – Compressed Pineapple
“Cuban Bread” – Brioche:
- 25 grams whole milk
- 396 grams whole eggs
- 28 grams fresh yeast
- 75 grams sugar
- 660 grams bread flour
- 14 grams salt
- 800 grams butter, cold and cut into large dice
“Mustard” – Passion Fruit Fluid Gel:
- 250 grams passionfruit puree
- 70 grams sugar
- 3 grams agar
- 2 grams sea salt
“Ham” – Strawberry Caramel:
- 50 grams sugar
- 140 grams strawberry puree
- 140 grams heavy cream
- 10 grams sugar
- 3 grams agar
- 2 grams gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 2 drops red food coloring
“Pork” – Cream Cheese Mousse:
- 550 grams cream cheese
- 315 grams crème fraiche
- 10 grams gelatin, bloomed
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 75 grams water
- 250 grams sugar
- 160 grams yolks, pasteurized
- 570 grams heavy cream, soft whipped, kept cold
- Ground feuillitine, as needed
“Cheese” – Flexible White Chocolate:
- 25 grams water
- 50 grams Sorbitol
- 1.5 grams agar
- 25 grams glucose
- 450 grams heavy cream
- 1 gelatin sheet, bloomed
- 200 grams white chocolate
- 2 grams sea salt
“Pickles” – Compressed Pineapple:
- 1/4 each of a pineapple
- 1 each vanilla bean, scraped
- 10 grams sugar
- 1 gram citric acid
- 2 grams fleur de sel
- Brown and green food coloring, as needed
- 10 limes, zested
- 2 grams citric acid
- 50 grams muscovado sugar
- 8 grams sea salt
- 20 grams tapioca maltodextrin
- 3 under ripe plantains, sliced
- Oil, for frying
- 2 Asian pears, small dice
- 1/4 pineapple, small dice
- 2 Granny Smith apples, brunoise
- 2 vanilla beans
- 3 ounces fromage blanc
- 3 ounces yogurt
- 3 ounces honey
“Cuban Bread” – Brioche
1. Place milk, eggs and yeast in the electric mixer with hook attachment. Mix on speed 1 to partially dissolve. Add sugar and flour and mix on speed 1 until dough comes together. Add salt and butter. Turn to speed 2 and mix until slapping noise is heard. Check elasticity of dough with window test.
2. Place dough in refrigerator overnight.
3. The next day, on a sheeter, roll brioche to #4. Cut dough in 3” x 4 1/2” rectangles. Place on a sheet tray. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Maldon salt. Proof in a proof box for one hour. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown and done.
“Mustard” – Passion Fruit Fluid Gel
1. In a small saucepot, place passion fruit puree. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, agar, and salt. Sprinkle the agar mixture over puree. Whisk to combine. Turn on medium heat.
2. Allow to come to a continuous boil for one minute. Pour onto Anolon sheet tray to cool and set in the refrigerator.
3. Once set, place gel into blender and blend on high until smooth and no lumps. Set aside.
“Ham” – Strawberry Caramel
1. In a small saucepot, on low heat, combine strawberry puree and heave cream. Hear to scald and keep warm.
2. In a medium saucepot, on high heat, make a dry caramel with the sugar by adding 1 tablespoon at a time until the sugar caramelizes.
3. Once the sugar is carmelized, break it by adding the hot strawberry and cream mixture. Cook on low hear to dissolve caramel.
4. In a small bowl, combine sugar and agar. Sprinkle misture over caramel and whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a full boil for 10 seconds and remove from heat.
5. Add gelatin and food coloring. Stir to combine.
6. Pour onto Anolon, nonstick pan, thick so it is the thickness of ham. Place in fridge and set for an hour.
“Pork” – Cream Cheese Mousse
1. Place cream cheese in electric mixing bowl with whip attachment. Whip to smooth. Add crème fraiche and scrape bowl all the way to the dimple.
2. Place juice, zest, and gelatin in microwave safe container. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, just to melt gelatin.
3. Add melted gelatin mixture to cream cheese mixture. Whip to combine. Scrape and whip again to mix well. Set aside at room temperature.
4. Place water and sugar in a small saucepot on medium heat.
5. Meanwhile place yolks in electric mixer with whip attachment. Whisk on medium speed.
6. Bring sugar water to 115 degrees Celsius.
7. Stream hot sugar into mixer while whisking the yolks. Make sure to pour along the side of the bowl and not into the whisk, or you will get unwanted sugar threads.
8. Continue to whip yolks and sugar to light, fluffy, and tripled in volume. Once mixture is cooled to about 32-34 degrees Celsius, fold yolk mixture with cream cheese mixture to incorporate.
9. Last, fold in cold, soft cream. Fold to combine.
10. Pour mousse into frame with acetate lined straight sheet tray. Spread to evenly distribute mousse. Cover mousse with feullitine all over mousse, both sides.
11. Once frozen, cut into 3-inch x 4 1/2- inch rectangles. Use frozen when building sandwich.
“Cheese” – Flexible White Chocolate
1. In a medium saucepot, combine water, Sorbitol, agar, glucose, and cream. Place on medium heat, bring to a full boil and turn off heat. Pour over chocolate, bloomed gelatin, and salt. Allow to sit for 2 minutes to melt chocolate. Burmix to smooth. Then pour onto acetate lined sheet tray and place in refrigerator to chill and set.
“Pickles” – Compressed Pineapple
1. Take off core of pineapple, cut slices 1/4” thick of the pineapple. In a bowl, place all ingredients and toss to coat pineapple.
2. Add green and a little brown food color to achieve the color of a pickle. Place in a Cryovac bag and Cryovac it.
1. Cut and scrape seeds from vanilla bean. In a bowl, mix vanilla and its beans, fromage blanc, yogurt and honey.
2. Add Asian pear, pineapple, and granny smith apples. Toss with yogurt dressing.
3. Place in a ramekin for service.
1. Slice plantains on slicer to get 1/8-inch thick slices.
2. Fry in 350 degree Fahrenheit oil until crisp and light brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
3. In a spice grinder, place lime zest, citric acid sugar, salt and tapioca maltodextrin. Grind until fine.
4. Toss plantains in sugar mixture.
1. Cut brioche in half to make the sandwich. Spread “mustard” (passion fruit fluid gel onto both sides of the brioche. Place pieces of “pickles” (compressed pineapple) on one side of brioche. Cut a rectangle of “pork” (cream cheese mousse) and place on top of “pickles” (compressed pineapple). Cut slices of “ham” (strawberry caramel) and place on top of “pork” (cream cheese mousse). Then dot “ham” (strawberry caramel) with “cheese” (flexible white chocolate). Place other side of brioche on top to make a sandwich.
2. Wrap sandwich in sandwich parchment paper and cut in half on a diagonal line. Place sandwich on plate and place ramekin of “potato” salad on plate and handful of the plantain chips.