Top Chef: Just Desserts, Season 1, Episode 1, Elimination Challenge, Winner
1. Sable Cookie Base: Cream butter and sugar. Add flour and flakes, extract until it comes together. Chill. Roll out. Bake at 350F until golden brown.
2. Chocolate Shavings: Melt chocolate and temper. Spread thin on marble while setting up, scrap up to make shavings or ribbons. Freeze until use
3. Dark Chocolate Mousse: Whip the cream to soft folds, make a pate a bombe with the egg yolks, cook the sugar and the water to 238 degrees/soft bubbled stage, whip it into the yolks, make a pate a bombe, melt the chocolate, add half the chocolate into the pate a bombe, add a little bit of cream into it, fold in the rest of the chocolate and fold in the rest of the cream
4. White Chocolate Mousse: Same method as the Dark Chocolate Mousse.
Add half of the mousse spread it down to the sheet pan, add your chocolate shavings, add the rest of the dark chocolate mousse, spread nice and even, let that freeze.
Add the white chocolate mousse on top of that, using a pastry bag with a plain round tip and pipe it into a diagonal, and freeze it, cut it into 2x2 squares
Garnish with colored cocoa butter powder, orange and yellow, dusted on top of the mousse.
5. Milk Chocolate Grand Marnier Sauce: Make a dry caramel with the sugar, deglaze with the cream, pour over milk chocolate, melt that down, add zest, put in the Grand Marnier.