Deconstructed Pot Roast- Seared Strip Loin, Potato Purée, Crispy Shallots and Carrot Foam - Recipe Finder
Deconstructed Pot Roast- Seared Strip Loin, Potato Purée, Crispy Shallots and Carrot FoamPhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 6, Elimination Challenge
- 1 ½ lb beef strip loin, cut into 4-oz blocks
- 1 cup demi-glace
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 pint cream
- ½ lb butter
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- 3 shallots, sliced thin on mandolin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 8 celery leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 sprigs fresh chives, minced
- 4 carrots, juiced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat demi-glace and reduce to desired consistency. Season and reserve.
2. For potato puree, gently boil whole potatoes in heavily salted water until cooked through. Drain and pass through a ricer or food mill fitted with a fine mesh attachment while potatoes are still hot. Fold in cream and 8 tablespoons butter. Press through a sieve/tamis to make smooth. Season to taste and keep warm.
3. For parsley coulis, blanch parsley in salt water and shock in ice bath. Drain parsley and puree with grapeseed oil until smooth. Strain and place in squeeze bottle.
4. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a hot pan, sear beef on all sides and cook to medium rare. Remove and let rest for 5-8 minutes.
5. Soak shallots in buttermilk. Strain and dust in a mixture of flour, cayenne, and paprika. Fry until golden. Season with salt and set aside.
6. Season celery leaves with olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and chives to taste.
7. For foam, gently heat carrot juice with 1 tablespoon of butter. Make foam using a handheld immersion blender.
1. Spread potato puree on plate.
2. Place beef block on top of puree. Spoon demi-glace over beef.
3. Top beef with fried shallots.
4. Garnish with celery leaves, parsley coulis, and carrot foam.