Top Chef Just Desserts, Season 2, Episode 8, Elimination Challenge, Winner
1. Peel and dice apples.
2. In a large sauté pan, melt butter and then add apples, add sugar and cook until tender. Add spices, salt and vanilla. Cook for two minutes.
3. Mix together cornstarch and apple juice. Thicken farce with slurry and then refrigerate until cool.
1. Caramelize sugar in a large sauce pan. Deglaze with heavy cream and add salt. Cool at room temperature. Reserve.
1. Boil everything except apples. Strain and cool. Pour syrup and apples into a vacuum bag. Compress apples in vacuum machine. Refrigerate.
1. Mix together the flour, salt and sugar in a KitchenAid. Using the paddle on low, incorporate the Crisco and the butter. Mix just until it starts to come together then add water and mix to combine. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm. Roll 2 millimeter thick and cut 3-inch rounds. Brush with egg wash. Fill with apple farce. Fold in half and press at the seams. Refrigerate. Deep fry to order.
Vanilla Ice Cream:
1. Mix together glucose powder, sugar and stabilizer. Whisk this mix into milk and heavy cream and add vanilla.
2. Over medium flame, cook mixture until it boils. When milk boils together, temper in the egg yolk. Strain through chinois. Place into ice bath and cool overnight.
1. Cream butter with sugar until fluffy. Add almond flour and mix in. Add flour and cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden.