Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 6, Quickfire Challenge
For Bitter Chocolate Mousse
1. Line nonstick ¼ sheet tray with parchment/wax/acetate paper. Place chocolate in mixing bowl.
2. Combine cream, sorbitol, and agar agar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and slowly cook for 5 minutes. Bloom gelatin in warm water. Add to cream mixture.
3. Pour cream mixture over chocolate and melt together. Immediately pour chocolate-cream mixture onto lined sheet tray. Cool in refrigerator for 2 hours.
For Chocolate Tuile
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Pour a thin layer onto a silpat and bake at 300-degrees F for 10 minutes or until crisp.
3. Break into shards and store in airtight container.
For Vanilla Syrup
1. Make simple syrup by boiling sugar and water until syrupy consistency. Remove from heat.
2. Add vanilla beans and let steep to room temperature.
For Lavender Powder
1. Make lavender oil and blending lavender flowers and then slowly streaming in grapeseed oil. Season to taste and transfer oil to a bowl.
2. Add Tapioca Maltodextrin until powder forms. Store in airtight container.
For Beet-Port Reduction
1. Combine port wine and beet juice in a saucepan and reduce to au sec.
For Coconut Lychee
1. Combine coconut milk, lychee puree, lime zest, and xanthan gum.
2. Blend with an immersion blender.
3. Freeze with liquid nitrogen on the back of a ladle.
1. Cut chocolate mousse into long strips. Place on plate and top with chocolate tuile shards. Sprinkle with cayenne cocoa. Garnish with drops of beet-port reduction.
2. On the other side of plate, drizzle vanilla syrup onto plate. Pile lavender powder on syrup. Top with coconut-lychee cup.