Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 5, Elimination Challenge
For Charred-Tomato-Bacon Vinaigrette:
1. In a smoking hot pan, char tomatoes until soft and skin is blackened. Peel off skin and discard. Chop tomatoes in a mixing bowl making sure to reserve juice.
2. Roast poblano until skin is charred. Place in bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam. Peel charred skin and remove seeks. Mince roasted poblano.
3. Grill onion rings until charred and soft. Place in bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam. Chop into small dice.
4. In a sauté pan, render bacon on low heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan. Add garlic and chopped onions to bacon fat, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add herbs, sherry vinegar, sugar, olive oil, roasted tomatoes with juice, and roasted poblanos. Mix well and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
For Drunken Prawns:
1. Make marinade by combining lime zest, orange zest, orange juice, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Toss with prawns and let marinate for 30 minutes. Add rum and honey to marinating prawns and let sit for additional 30 minutes.
2. Skewer prawns and season with salt and pepper. Grill until still slight translucent (will continue to cook off the heat).
1. Grill corn until roasted. Cut kernels off the cob.
2. Cut off the very top of romaine leaves and peel big outer leaves. Slice in half lengthwise. Season cut side with olive oil and salt. Grill cut side down until it has grill marks, but not wilted.
1. Place grilled romaine cut side up on plate.
2. Spoon vinaigrette over romaine.
3. Place corn and avocado slices on top of romaine.
4. Lay prawn skewer across the romaine.
5. Garnish with bacon bits.