Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 7, Elimination Challenge
1. In a pot, sweat onion, garlic, and half the beets in olive oil until soft. Add chicken stock to cover. Simmer and reduce by half. Transfer to a vita-prep and puree until smooth. Add crème fraîche and remaining raw beets, and puree again until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
2. For gnocchi, bake whole potatoes in 350-degree F oven until tender. While still hot, peel potatoes and pass through a ricer. Mix in egg yolks, nutmeg, crème fraîche, cheese, salt, and just enough flour to bind. Using two bench scrapers, incorporate ingredients until dough forms. Roll out dough into a log and cut into dumplings. In a sauté pan, melt butter until brown and whisk in lemon juice and salt. Boil gnocchi in salted water until floating. Remove gnocchi from water and crisp in brown butter.
3. Peel tail and shell off spot prawn, leaving head in tact. Place skewer through tail to keep prawn straight. Season with olive oil and salt, and grill gently until medium. Finish with lemon juice. Let rest and then remove skewer.
4. For garnish, toss herbs with salt, lemon juice, and olive oil to taste.
1. Spoon a pool of beet emulsion onto plate.
2. Place gnocchi dumplings on beet emulsion.
3. Arrange spot prawns over gnocchi.
4. Garnish with herb salad.