Top Chef, Season 7, Episode 12, Elimination Challenge
For the Bacon & Jalapeno Condiment:
1. Render bacon in a pan and add onions, garlic, and jalapenos. Cover with balsamic vinegar and cook slowly until vinegar is reduced and jam consistency.
For the Corn Purée:
1. Place corn, butter, sugar, turmeric, and salt in a pot. Cover with milk and cook slowly until milk has been reduced by half. Purée until smooth.
For the Red Wine Jus:
1. Put red wine in a pan and reduce to au sec. Then add demi glace and thyme. Reduce to sauce consistency.
For the Vidalia Onions:
1. Mix flour, cornstarch, egg yolk, and soda water to make a tempura batter.
2. Dip onions in batter and deep fry at 350-degrees F until golden and crispy.
For the NY Strip Steak:
1. Season steaks and grill to medium rare. Let rest before slicing.
Place corn purée on plate. Slice steak and layer on top. Spoon bacon & jalapeno condiment over steak. Top with fried tempura onions. Drizzle red wine jus around the plate.