Peach Cobbler with Cornmeal Crust and Buttermilk-Lemon Crème Anglaise - Recipe Finder
Peach Cobbler with Cornmeal Crust and Buttermilk-Lemon Crème AnglaisePhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 7, Episode 3 Quickfire Challenge
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbl salt
- 2 Tbl sugar
- 1 Tbl water, cold
- 4 oz butter, cold
- 8 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup cinnamon
- 3 Tbl butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 Tbl lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the Cornmeal Crust:
1. In a food processor, mix together dry ingredients. Add butter to processor and pulse until resembling cornmeal. Add eggs and water just until it forms a ball, do not over mix.
2. Take out of processor and wrap in plastic in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out pie dough to fit pie pan, reserving extra dough for lattice top.
4. Place parchment paper on dough and add rice or dry beans to weigh it down.
5. Blind bake in 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes until light brown. Remove and reserve.
For the Peach Cobbler:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add peaches. Add remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is thick and syrupy. Peaches should be soft but not falling apart.
2. Add peach mixture to pie crust and make lattice with dough on top.
3. Back in 350-degree F oven for 45 minutes. Remove and let set.
For the Crème Anglaise:
1. Heat cream to a simmer.
2. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar. Slowly whisk cream into yolk mixture. Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
3. Transfer back into saucepan and heat slowly, do not boil. Once mixture starts to thicken, taste and adjust. Cool down mixture.
4. Once cool, add buttermilk.
5. Serve crème anglaise under pie slice.