Artichokes Barigoule, Confit of Shallot, Wild Asparagus and Fennel Purée
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge
- 12 large artichokes
- 8 bulb onions, cleaned
- 12 squash, split
- 12 zucchini, split
- 12 cherry tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 24 wild green asparagus, trimmed
- 2 bulbs fennel, julienned
- 2 Spanish onions, julienned
- ½ cup carrots, round stars
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen
- 2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Clean and trim all artichokes leaving only the tender leaves.
2. Combine 1 cup of olive oil and cleaned bulb onions in a saucepan. Confit very slowly on low heat until onions are tender (should not even simmer).
3. Season blanched and peeled tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Leave in a warm place overnight and/or place in a warm oven (150-degrees F) until semi dry.
4. In a saucepan, sweat fennel and onions in the remaining olive oil. Add carrots and continue to sweat. Add white wine vinegar and white wine. Add artichokes and enough water to cover. Stew the artichokes under a cartouche (circle of paper to stop a skin from forming) for 45 minutes very slowly with a lazy bubble.
5. Caramelize squash in a sauté pan over medium heat in canola oil. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Sauté wild asparagus in olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
1. Arrange vegetables onto plate.