Confit of Eggplant, Lentils, Garlic Purée and Radish Salad
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 2 heirloom radish with tops
- ½ bulb fennel
- Fennel fronds
- Cilantro leaves
- Basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch spring garlic, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup lentils
- ½ carrot, brunoised
- 1 rib celery, brunoised
- ½ onion, brunoised
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons browned butter
- ¼ cup reduced cream
- Banyuls vinegar
- White truffle oil
1. Slice eggplant into medallions. Salt well and let rest for 30 minutes.
2. Cut tops off radishes and reserve. Slice radishes and fennel paper thin on a mandolin.
3. Blanch radish tops in salted water until tender. Drain and puree with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice until smooth. Season and reserve.
4. Place spring garlic in a saucepan and cover with olive oil. Confit on low heat until onion is soft. Transfer onions to a blender with just enough oil to let it spin freely. Reserve remaining garlic oil.
5. Sauté carrot, celery, and onion in olive oil until soft. Add lentils and water, and cook until tender. Add browned butter and reduced cream until thick. Season with Banyuls vinegar and white truffle oil to taste.
6. Wipe salt off eggplant and pat dry. Place in a saucepan with reserved garlic oil. Confit on low heat until tender. Drain eggplant from oil.
1. Place a pile of lentils onto plate.
2. Top lentils with eggplant medallions.
3. Drizzle radish puree onto plate and top with herb salad.
4. Garnish with spring garlic puree.