Confit Tuna and Potato Sandwich
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 3, Quickfire Challenge
- 1 (2-oz portion rectangular cut) tuna
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 1 russet potato
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cup vegetable oil
- Sea salt
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
1. Season tuna with sea salt. Place in cryovac bag and add basil and ¼ cup olive oil. Seal bag and place in immersion circulator set at 140-degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove bag from water and place in ice bath until ready to serve.
2. For mayo, whip egg yolks to ribbon stage (thick, pale yellow). Mix in sherry vinegar. While whisking continuously, slowly stream in ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and approx 1 cup vegetable oil to emulsify. Mix in scraped vanilla beans and season with kosher salt to taste. Pour contents into iSi cream whipper and charge with 2 N2O chargers. Make mayo espuma.
3. For potato confit, cut potato into 1” x 2.5” rectangle. Heat ½ cup vegetable oil in a pan and brown potato on both sides. Pour off oil and deglaze with chicken stock. Place pan in a 400-degree F oven until stock is reduced and potato is glazed.
4. For pickles, boil mirin, rice vinegar, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt until dissolved. Pour over cucumber slices and allow pickles to cool in the liquid.
1. Place potato on plate.
2. Remove tuna from bag and slice in half. Arrange tuna pieces on top of potato.
3. Spoon mayo espuma over fish.
4. Garnish with pickle slices and fresh herbs.