Roasted Pork Loin with Corn Polenta Dandelion Greens and Glazed Rutabaga
Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 5, Elimination Challenge Winner
- 6 (5-oz center portioned) pork loin steaks
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon course black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Maldon Sea Salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup dry polenta
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
For Dandelion Greens:
- 2 large bunches dandelion greens (red ribbon), cleaned
- 1 lemon, zested with microplane
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 12 rutabaga, round cut to ½” high and 1” diameter
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Trim and portion the pork. Mix together ingredients for marinade. Add in pork loin steaks and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Bring milk to a simmer and rain in corn meal until fully incorporated. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 10-15 minutes until desired consistency. Finish by adding in mascarpone cheese and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat chicken stock, vinegar, sherry, and honey until it forms a glaze and then add butter. Cook rutabaga to desired consistency. Reserve for plating.
4. Remove pork from marinade and dry thoroughly. Sear the pork until medium rare to medium. Baste with butter, shallot, garlic, and rosemary. Hold until ready to plate.
5. Bring butter to a froth, then add red onion until translucent. Add dandelion greens and lemon zest. Cook until braised and tender.
6. Roast the oyster mushroom in the same pan that pork was cooked in. Roast until browned. Reserve for plating.
1. Spoon polenta on the plate. Top with dandelion greens and oyster mushrooms.
2. Slice pork and place on top.
3. Place rutabaga on the side.