Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 2, Elimination Challenge Winner
Makes 75 canapés
1. Combine juice, water, lemongrass, lime leaf, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and then let steep for 15 minutes. Remove lemongrass stalk and lime leaf.
2. Remove 50g of the liquid and cool. Combine with methylcellulose and bring to a simmer. Add bloomed gelatin.
3. Take the remaining liquid (must equal 350g) and combine with sugar mixture and egg white powder. Whip in stand mixer with whip attachment until soft peak.
4. Slowly add methylcellulose-gelatin mixture to egg white mixture. Whip until cool and medium-to-stiff peak.
5. Immediately pipe using a round tip onto a dehydrator mat or silpat mat. They should resemble small domes.
6. Place into dehydrator and set at 125-degrees F for 8-10 hours. [Alternative: Preheat convection oven to 150-degrees F and dehydrate for 4 hours or more as needed.]
1. Puree avocado in food processor. Add lime juice, red wine vinegar, and cumin.
2. Put mixture into a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place in a piping bag with a small round tip.
1. Sweat lemongrass and lime leaf. Add corn kernels and sweat for 10 minutes.
2. Add cream and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
3. Remove lemongrass and lime leaf and puree in blender. Pass through tamis.
1. Make a hole in the bottom of the macaroon. Pipe in guacamole.
2. Spoon small amount of corn puree and set macaroon on top.
3. Dust with corn nut powder.