Thai Style Crab and Shrimp Salad with Caramel Fish Sauce and Peanuts
Top Chef, Season 9, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge
- 2 ounces gulf shrimp, skinned, peeled, deveined, and poached
- 2 ounces jumbo lump crab
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit segments
- 1/2 ounce orange segments
- 1/4 serrano pepper
- Endive leaves, as needed
- 8 ounces palm sugar
- 2 ounces fish sauce
- 2 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fried Scandinavian shallots
- 1 teaspoon toasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon coconut flakes
1. Combine shrimp, crab, grapefruit, orange, and pepper and place on a plate with 2 endive leaves.
2. Cook down palm sugar until dark brown caramel color is reached. Thin with fish sauce and rice wine vinegar. Drizzle over lettuce cup and garnish with shallots, toasted peanuts, and coconut flakes.