Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 6, Quickfire Challenge Winner
For Apple Crisp Topping
1. Blend together all ingredients except flour. Pour into mixing bowl.
2. Incorporate enough flour by hand until mixture becomes dry and crumbly. Reserve to sprinkle over apple crisp.
For Apple Crisp Filling
1. Mix together all ingredients except flour in a bowl.
2. Add just enough flour to create binding agent. Consistency should be a bit gummy, not dry.
3. Fill ramekin with filling and top with topping. Sprinkle a little bit of water on top.
4. Bake at 350-degrees F for about 40 minutes until bubbly around the edges.
For Amaretto Caramel
1. Place sugar, corn syrup, and squeeze of lemon in a small saucepan and moisten with just enough water to absorb the sugar. Wipe sides clean and cover with lid.
2. Bring to a gentle boil on medium heat. Once it starts to turn a golden color, remove the lid and watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.
3. Once the caramel is at desired amber color, turn off heat and slowly whisk in minced cold butter. Continue to whisk and add in cream. Mixture will bubble up, so be careful.
4. Finish with Amaretto to taste. A little goes a long way! Season with a pinch of salt and cardamom.
For Cardamom Whipped Cream
1. Whip cream and powdered sugar all the way until it forms soft peak.
2. Add cardamom right before the end.
For Raw Salad
1. Dice fennel bulb and greens to ¼”. Squeeze lemon juice over everything.
2. Toss together remaining ingredients except arugula.
For Ginger Vinaigrette
1. Whisk together ginger, lemon, water, sugar, vinegar, and mustard powder.
2. While continuously whisking, slowly stream in oil to create temporary emulsification.
3. Season with salt, pepper, and honey to taste.
For Apple Crisp
1. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream, twisting as you pull away.
3. Drizzle caramel all over.
For Raw Salad
1. Dress fennel and arugula separately.
2. Plate arugula first. Mound salad on top.