Roasted Chicken with Vegetables - Recipe Finder
Roasted Chicken with VegetablesPhoto by:
Top Chef, Season 2, Episode 9
- One 7-pound organic roasting chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks on the diagonal
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush the chicken with the softened butter. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Tie the legs loosely together.
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, and potatoes. Add the melted butter and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Put the chicken in a roasting pan and scatter the vegetables around the chicken. Pour in the stock and top with the herb sprigs. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning the vegetables a few times to evenly brown, until the chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 180 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and cut it into serving pieces. Place on plates and, using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the pan and place them alongside the chicken. Garnish with fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs. Serve immediately.