Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 10, Elimination Challenge
For Squash Blossoms:
1. In a rondeau, melt butter and sweat shallots for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, and herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat stirring occasionally for about 40 minutes. Add a little more butter if needed.
2. Spread mushroom mixture out on sheet pan to cool. Once at room temperature, mix in chèvre and parmesan cheese. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks, and then fold into mushroom mixture. Place into a pastry bag.
3. Gently spread squash blossoms open. Insert pastry bag tip into flower and squeeze mixture until ¾ full. Wrap petals to enclose. Repeat for remaining squash blossoms. Steam for 20 minutes.
For Beet Carpaccio:
1. Boil beets in salted water until tender. Drain and let cool. Peel and slice beets paper thin on a mandolin. Drizzle with sherry vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, smoked salt, black pepper, thyme, orange zest, and shallots.
For Charmoula Sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients (except grapeseed oil) in a blender or food processor. Blend until incorporated and slowly stream in grapeseed oil to thicken. Season and reserve.
1. Arrange beet slices onto plate.
2. Spoon charmoula sauce onto plate next to beet slices.
3. Overlap sauce and beets with shaved fennel.
4. Lay stuffed squash blossom across fennel, sauce, and beets.
5. Garnish with fresh garbanzo beans.