Chef: Brian Huskey
- 1 15–18 pound turkey, cut into 8 pieces (2 wings, 2 legs, 2 breasts, 2 thighs)
- Brining Liquid
- 4 cups water
- ½ - ¾ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 10 each whole allspice, cloves, black peppercorns
- 5 each star anise
- Cranberry Onion Relish
- 1 pound fresh cranberries (substitute craisins or dried cherries if you can’t find freshcranberries)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar (less, if dried fruit is used)
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks, toasted
- 2 orange zest strips
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all the brining ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag and shake to dissolve salt and sugar. Place turkey parts in bag and place in refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat calphalon unison nonstick pan to medium high heat. Sear each piece until golden brown on all sides. Place seared pieces on a sheet pan, and finish cooking them in the oven. Cook all the pieces to an internal temperature of 170 degrees. NOTE: The white meat will cook faster than the dark meat, so use a thermometer to test for doneness to ensure each piece is cooked to perfection.
Cranberry Onion Relish
- Place all ingredients in a medium size pot. Cook for 40 - 45 minutes or until cranberries have popped and onions are soft, translucent and red from the wine and cranberries.
- Adjust seasoning, if necessary.