While fans continue to wonder when or if Richard Simmons will ever step out in public again, his spokesman, Michael Catalano, revealed on Tuesday that the fitness guru was hospitalized for on Monday for "severe indigestion" and is now recovering, according to ABC News. In the wake of the hospitalization, Richard is finally speaking out.
He released a statement to PEOPLE to thank his fans for their support. “Hello to everyone who has shown concern for me and sent their good wishes. You will never know how much it means to me. Aren’t you sick of hearing and reading about me?! LOL Well by now you know that I’m not ‘missing,’ just a little under the weather. I’m sure I will be feeling good and back home in a couple of days,” he said.
As for his health scare, he noted, “This has reminded me that when you need help you can’t be afraid to reach out and ask for it. We all think we should always be able to solve our problems all by ourselves and sometimes it’s just bigger than we are. I reached out and I hope you will too. I’m sure there are people in your life who love and care for you and would do anything to help you with the challenges you face. Just knowing you care has already made me feel better. Hope to see you again soon!”
His rep spoke further on the health condition. He said, "Richard Simmons was hospitalized on Monday at an undisclosed location in California. After a few days of battling severe indigestion and discomfort while eating, we agreed it was best for him to seek treatment. He's already feeling better and is expected to make a full recovery.”
It's been three years since Richard stepped out of the spotlight, last month his rep shot down gossip and speculation about his disappearance from the public eye, which Richard has apparently laughed off. At the time Michael shared, “I said to him the other day, ‘There are people that think you are a very overweight, depressed woman.’ And he laughed. He just laughed."
ABC News further reports that Richard's rep confirmed that the fitness expert signed a business deal for "merchandising, endorsements and licensing opportunities" The report notes that Richard was the person who went after the deal. Though further details about what it all means next for Richard weren't provided, the rep reiterated that Richard just wants a break from being famous. In a statement from last year, Richard has made it clear that he is doing fine and mirrored that sentiment to Entertainment Tonight. "No one should be worried about me," he said. "It was time for me to take some time to be by myself."
Get better soon, Richard!