Adriana De Moura

Adriana discusses the stresses of her gallery show, and tells Larsa she owes her one.

on Mar 9, 2011

"No good deed will go unpunished" should be the title of this blog today.

I gave Marcos, the artist, an opportunity that most artists would dream of having: to make his work known nationally in the USA.

I supported him fully for two months, gave him room and board, had him staying with me and my family in my house, took him everywhere with me, introduced him to all my clients and friends. The only thing he needed to do was paint!

When he first arrived at my home, I explained to him the concept I had for the art show, which was to honor the key people who made Miami the great city that it is today.

Beginning with the founder of Miami, Julia Tuttle, a visionary woman that in her days was able to see the potential Miami had. She founded it, and then went on to convince the railroad magnate, Henry Flagler, to bring his railroad all the way south to Miami. What a woman she was!

No wonder Miami is so beautiful and special! It is one of the very few cities in the US founded by a woman!

I then went on to choose other key people that developed Miami, and others that came later and embraced Miami as their home, adding spice and culture to this city. The show was titled "Miami Celebrities," and I commissioned 37 portraits of exponents in the areas of development (such as Craig Robins and Ugo Colombo), philanthropists (like Phil Frost and Lea Black), entertainers (Gloria Estefan and Enrique Iglesias), athletes (Dwyane Wade and Alonzo Mourning), etc.

Initially Marcos said he need to get a few days to rest from his travels, so he took some time off and enjoyed my pool and hospitality. He even invited some of his friends over my place. This went on for three weeks, and then I finally began to ask him when would he begin painting. Every time I inquired about it, he would respond he had plenty of time, and I did not need to control him or tell him what to do. So, I let him take his time, trusting that he would deliver all 37 paintings at the scheduled time, which was about ten days before the opening night. Two weeks before the event I asked how many paintings he had ready, and he said, "None!" Wow!