The Produce Section
- Choose mostly raw, fresh, and preferably organic vegetables.
- When purchasing a salad mix, look for the most colorful greens in the bag. The more color, the more healthful antioxidants.
The Dairy Section
- Next, pick up dairy products, such as low-fat cottage cheese and other low-fat cheeses, and Greek-style yogurt. Be sure to choose the additive-free version.
- Stay away from soft, pasteurized, or artificially colored cheese products. They are high in saturated fat, dyes, and preservatives.
- Choose organize free-range eggs if available.
The Fish Section
- Many varieties of fish are loaded with fat-burning omega-3 fatty acids. The types with the most omega-3s include the rich, oily, dark fleshed fish, such as salmon, sardines, bluefin tuna, and trout. Choose any white fish and steer clear of seafood that has been breaded or fried. Canned light meat tuna (water-packed) is fine, too; you’ll find that in the canned-meat aisle.