Black Puy lentils with sweet potato, ginger and coconut milk. #tastytuesday
1 cup Black Puy lentils
2-3 fresh bay leaves
2 large sweet potatoes
2-3 tbsp canola oil
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup diced shallots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
2 dry red chilies
1 dozen curry leaves
1/2 tsp sambar curry powder
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1. Boil 1 cup lentils for 25 minutes in 6 cups of salted water and bay leaves. Drain.
2. Boil 2 large sweet potatoes for 30 minutes too. Peel and cut in chunks.
3. Heat oil on medium high. When hot add garlic and fennel seeds.
4. After 3 minutes, sauté 1 cup diced shallots, 1 cup diced celery, 1 cup diced carrots, and 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger in oil.
5. Then after 4 minutes, add 2 dry red chillies, a dozen curry leaves and 1/2 teaspoon sambar curry powder.
6. When veggies are browned, slowly add a can of unsweetened coconut milk and reduce heat to medium low. Stir and salt to taste.
7. After 10 minutes add the lentils and sweet potatoes. Adjust for salt. Let simmer another 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
8. Add 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup fresh lime juice.
Serve over plain rice.