Braised Pork and Baked Beans
10 lbs of pig trotter
10 lbs of pork shoulder butt
8 bottles of Mexican coke
8 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer
10 yellow onions
20 cloves of garlic
5 lbs of dried navy beans (soaked overnight)
6 bay leaves
1. Add pork trotter, 6 bay leaves, and a handful of black peppercorns to the pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Strain and reserve trotters.
3. Season pork shoulder heavily with salt and pepper, and sear in a very hot pan until golden brown.
4. Remove pork from the pan and add garlic until it's lightly brown. Then add onions.
5. Lightly brown onions. Deglaze the pan with the Mexican coke and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. Arrange browned pork pieces in a roasting pan and pour onions, garlic, coke and beer over the top.
6. Add reserved trotters to the pan. Tightly cover with tin foil and braise at 325 degrees for 3 hours until the pork is tender.
7. Slowly simmer the beans with the trotter stock until tender.
8. Mix braised pork with tender beans and cook until it is hot and mixed well. Serve with pickles and bread.