Roasted Asparagus Salad, Poached Egg, Parmesan Crisp, Truffle Oil Serves 4
16 piece Jumbo Green Asparagus
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oi
l 1 Tablespoon Thyme, chopped
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
4 piece Egg
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, finely shredded
4 cups Mesclun Greens
Truffle Vinaigrette Black Truffle
Oil Salt and Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450F. Trim the asparagus by snapping off the woody end of each stalk. It will break at the point where the tender stalk begins to toughen. (Tough ends can be used to make soup). Peel the asparagus and lay them out on a sheet tray. Drizzle the asparagus with the olive oil and season generously with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and the chopped thyme, gently tossing to coat. Roast the asparagus in the oven until crisp tender, about 8 minutes. Allow the asparagus to cool at room temperature on the sheet tray until serving time.
2. Heat 2 to 3 inches of water in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add the vinegar. Crack the each egg into a small cup and slide one by one from the cup into the simmering water. Maintain the water just below a simmer, reducing the heat to low if necessary. Cook the eggs until the white are set and the centers are still soft. Drain the eggs with a slotted spoon and hold against a clean, dry towel to absorb excess moisture. Trim away ragged egg white edges with scissors or a paring knife.
3. Cover the bottom of a 6-inch nonstick saute pan with a thin layer of parmesan cheese, ensuring there are no holes in the layer. Cook the cheese over medium low heat, until it begins to bubble and turn a very light golden color. Remove the pan from the heat and gently remove the cheese from the pan with a spatula. At this point you may shape the cheese while it is still hot and pliable, or cool the cheese round on a wire rack. The cheese will crisp up once it cools. Repeat with the remaining cheese.
4. In a large bowl, dress the greens lightly with the truffle vinaigrette, tossing to coat. Season the greens with salt and pepper to taste. Place 4 stalks of asparagus on each plate. Drizzle lightly with truffle oil. Divide the salad greens evenly, placing in a fluffy pile on top of the asparagus. Place a cheese crisp atop the greens, and then a poached egg balanced on the cheese crisp. Again, drizzle lightly with truffle oil. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.
2 piece Shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 sprig Tarragon
1 cup White Port, or Sauterne
1/4 cup Black Truffle Juice
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Black Truffle Oil
1/2 cup Canola Oil
Salt and White Pepper
1. In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, tarragon, and white port. Cook over medium heat until the liquid has reduced by 90%.
2. Add the cooked shallots, truffle juice, and soy sauce to a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth. Continue to blend, and slowly add the truffle oil and canola oil in a thin steady stream to form an emulsification until all of the oil has been added. Season with salt and pepper to taste.