Top Chef Season 11, Episode 11, Elimination Challenge
To make the beef:
1. Preheat oven to 310 degrees.
2. Season the beef with all the dry spices and salt.
3. Heat canola oil in a large saute pan.
4. Brown all sides of the beef in pan.
5. Place sprig of thyme and butter in pan and brown. Baste the beef with the brown butter.
6. Roast the beef in oven until internal temperature reaches 105-110 degrees. Rest the beef for 30 minutes.
7. Before serving, flash the beef in a 500-degree oven for 6 minutes. Slice the beef thinly against grain.
To make the chutney:
1. Season the cherry tomatoes with salt and pepper. Toss with 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
2. Roast in 500-degree oven until the tomatoes are completely soft.
3. Chop jalapenos into 1/2-inch rings, season with salt and pepper, toss with olive oil, and roast in oven.
4. Cut red onion into small dice, season with salt and pepper, toss with olive oil, and roast in oven until soft.
5. Combine the roasted tomatoes, jalapenos, and red onion, including all the juice and oil. Add balsamic and adjust seasoning with salt.
6. Before serving, chiffonade basil leaves and add to chutney.
To make the potato puree:
1. Peel and cut potatoes into quarters.
2. Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. Mash with diced cold butter.
3. Warm the heavy cream slightly. Blend with the mashed potatoes until smooth.