THE QUESTION THAT WAS BURNING THROUGH MY HEAD WHILE WATCHING THE NEW EPISODE : Are we really that different from animals? Quoting honest words of TIME Magazine: "No single, essential difference separates human beings from animals." Let's see how we stand up to that one.
The 5 scenes that made my stomach turn upside down.
1. REASONING MIND. There is a little pre-history to the EA lingerie meeting. A grand scheme of Ariel to manipulate a photographer into Ariel's deal with EA to get national exposure for a couple thousand greens. I have never worked with Ariel and had never been in contact with his work ethic (say what)? I was told by Ariel that we would meet to discuss an editorial photo-shoot with EA lingerie as a good faith start of a relationship between Maria as a photographer, Ariel as art director (at that point I was under impression Ariel actually KNEW what art direction was) and EA as a client. When we arrived at the meeting all of a sudden ladies from EA started talking about national campaign for next year and asking me what I could bring to the table. None of the questions asked by the EA lingerie team was I able to answer, being interrupted by Ariel over and over and over again.
Usual rule of thumb — do not finalize the money at first meeting, so many things go into the photoshoot — I could not quote them right there and then without additional information. Ariel tried to close the deal there and then and I had to figure out how to get out of that situation all the while 'keeping the face." My reputation is what keeps bringing me jobs. I value the reputation that I had created in professional circles. Situations like that are a great training to master the craft of business of photography and learn to do your study on people you are about to engage in business with as part of your team . No surprises in the future please.
Tiny bit about the whole passion thing. Result of the job is as important for me as a joy that comes doing it. I have trained myself to deliver results no matter what. Passion is one thing. Delivering on the client's goal is something else. Understanding what client needs and putting your best foot forward and making it happen to everybody's satisfaction is all together a different skill usually driven not just by passion only.
2. BOOOOO BABYYYY BOOOO. Hardy giving advice to George on kids, getting married, etc. From one broken winged bird to another one about to be broken. Spare the drama! Learn to live not offer your not-so-positive advice. If you are living and tolerating something that does not make you happy LEAVE IT ALONE. Start anew. Gosh, I know it's easy to say. But honestly we all have to do it sometime. If you learn how to do that clean slate - LET ME KNOW !
3. PASSION CURRENCY. The shock on EA lingerie girl's faces when they get introduced to a new photographer right on a shoot. I would hate to be a client who gets put in a position like that. I think they handled themselves gracefully. Side not: Interesting how PASSION of a photographer was not enough to produce stunning images. I wonder if any of those shots ever made it to print. And the icing on the cake - Ariel praising himself on how well he had done on that shoot in the commentary.
4. LOOK TO THE LEFT, YOU WILL SEE....Kat performing for the camera during the Ben and Kat scene at Van Dyke Cafe. When I was listening to her talk about how great Miami is I felt like I was listening to the radio anchor advertising the next tourist trap, i couldn't help but ask myself "Kat who are you talking to??," its BEN your husband of 13 years. I know I come down hard on Kat in my blog and truly I wish her all the best and especially to be ( if she is not I am sure she is VERY close ) continue being truly happy. NOT TO CALL OUT on all the things that are not making sense after close observation is one of the things I am learning nowadays. Because really what good had it done to anyone?
5. MANIPULATE ME, HONEY. The scene where Lina starts "milking" (George's wording) George for all his sanity with the pregnancy thing. Come on guys. Just run! Opposite direction from each other. Both of you I am sure both of you are BETTER human beings without each other. And now to the good stuff!
My fav moments of the episode 4.
1.Telling to Ariel I cant work with him. It was not easy. But I stood my grounds, I was professional. I loved it. Notice how I take my shades off so he can see my eyes? I like to have eye contact with people. Remember the tip I gave YOU last week on the powdering under the eye area. Yep it def would have helped me in that scene :) I feel like may be I should have taken it more seriously with the make up and looking pristine during filming, just like Kat did. The big lashes and Dewey skin and the whole shebang.
2. Gonzalo giving present to Sorah. It shows he thought of her on his trip and it was a present that was personal. lovely.
3. Watching Kat look at houses. I think you CAN live in a 7 bedroom home as a single girl, Michael. And who cares what people think of you!?
4. Holding Michael's hand during eye surgery. I am glad i was there for him, he is a real girl about things like that :) Dr. Lessner was a true sweetheart and very gentle and professional, let alone good looking ! His wife Maria is a lucky girl :)) I guess we will have to be building more pillow walls in bed in next 10 days between me and Michael, because we both are going to LA! I will be blogging about the trip on my website. Michael and me really bonded after filming. We watched THE SECRET last night and Michael already had been experiencing it in action right next day. His Kabbalah bracelet fell off as a good sign! I have read the book in 2006 and my success today is a manifestation of the Secret - in other words of positive thinking and of the law of attraction. Watch the movie guys ;) You will see what I mean.
5. Watching all the beautiful scenes of scenery of Miami (specially the sun going down aerial view of Miami Beach). I will miss it when I am away for two to three weeks a month starting september (splitting my time between LA and Miami and Lugano). Until next week my friends, drink lots of water, don't overexpose yourselves to sun and spend more time with animals (visit a zoo or pet your cat or dog more often), you can learn empathy, love, tenderness and care from them. Embrace the "ANIMAL" side of you. Because we are not that different after all.