The finale was a bittersweet one -- bitter in that it was the season finale, but oh so sweet in that this episode presented possibly the most fabulous dinner guests of the whole season. (It's debatable.) It was Lucille 2's Liza Minnelli's 65th birthday after all. But we'll get to that in a minute.
In the Signature Dish Challenge, we watched as Antonio Bettencourt, who one might consider the front-runner for this challenge, went home. And we were left with Frank Picchione and Lucia Palmieri, two of the most, um, interesting contestants we've seen so far this season. Both took very different approaches to their Liza-inspired rooms and menus. While Lucia really Liza-d out, making an all-red room and themed foods, Frank went with a sort of country home feel (with bits of hunting paraphernalia), and a comfort food menu. Here are some of my random thought through the episode. Let me know if you were thinking the same thing!
1. I'm surprised Frank was so patient with Lucia. If my competitor were singing and talking through service, we would've had some words.
2. I was as confused as Jes Gordon was with Frank's original design direction. I think Jes did quite an admirable job pulling it off!
3. Kenneth Cole kinda looks like Toby from The Office, and i never realized it before.
4. I knew the second Frank swapped the chicken stock for apple cider vinegar in his soup that the guests would think it was too sweet. As a foodie, I was pretty proud of that.
5. Even though Sandra Bernhard got a little flack for her "negative" comments at the table, I agreed with all of them! And, I too, would have preferred dark chocolate over milk chocolate on my strawberry. Also, I too, would have questioned being served a strawberry as an amuse-bouche.
6. I also found it odd that Frank served a soup followed by a stew, and I don't think anyone commented on it.
6. Every time Marvin Hamlisch spoke, all I could think about was this:
7. Also, I used to have a crush on Alan Cumming. Like, when Cabarat first came out. Oh well.
That's all from me this season. What did you guys think of the premiere? And what was your favorite episode of the season?