Pork Shoulder Porchetta
Recipe Courtesy of Bruce Kalman, from Union
Yield 4-6 People
1/4 C fennel seed
1/2 C fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 C kosher salt
1/4 C garlic, chopped fine
2 Tbls freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbls crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbls fennel pollen
1 lemon, zested
1/4 C olive oil blend 90/10
5lb pork shoulder, bone out, skin on (butterflied)
1. In a bowl, combine all herbs and spices, except for the oil.
2. Unroll the pork shoulder to expose the interior meat.
3. Rub the pork with the oil, coat with seasoning, and rub well all over.
4. Roll up the pork shoulder tightly, then tie with butchers twine tightly in place.
5. Place rolled and tied pork shoulder on a sheet pan, atop a roasting rack and allow to sit for 24 hours in refrigeration, uncovered.
6. Remove from the refrigerator and allow the meat to come to room temperature for 2 hours.
7. Place in a preheated 400F oven and cook until the porchetta has reached an internal temperature of 140F and the skin is crispy, about 45 minutes