Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
Surf and Sand
Think you can handle this week's workout? Try it now!
The beach workout is split up into 2 parts – Beach Workout and Surf.
Several steps will be taken to reduce the risk of injury during this workout.
1. The entire “course” will be raked even and flat.
2. There will be no running or rushing in between stations during the sand portion of the workout.
3. All equipment being used is designed for that particular exercise thereby reducing the risk of personal injury (see notes below).
4. All exercises are low impact or stationary.
5. Clients will all wear tennis shoes. Ankle wrapping is an option if necessary
PART 1: Sand (3 cycles)
Starting on the sand, clients will go through a circuit of drills in the sand. Each client will have to hit 4 stations and perform each element with perfect form before moving on to the next station.
Station #1 – Beach Ball Crunches (x30)
Clients will blow up their beach ball and use the ball to steady themselves on their backs, feet planted in a 90 degree angle. Once situated, each client will raise their chests at a 45 degree angle and begin crunches. Elbows remain wide. Chin to the sky.
Station #2 – Spider Crawl
Clients will crawl under a netting pathway 15’ x 4’ and 2 feet high.
1. Clients will go through one at a time.
2. This is not a timed event. Speed is not encouraged.
3. Netting is made of thin nylon rope tied into 2 in squares. The netting is attached with bungee chords, which will be anchored by 4 metal stakes on each side.
4. Each stake is approx 2’ long and will be pounded into the sand with 6” sticking out and covered with an orange cone.
Station #3 – Tire Flip (down and back x1)
Lined up are 8, 40 lbs tires each client will have to flip down the beach. (Distance TBD per Jackie and Dr. Cohan)
1. Jackie will give specific instructions how to lift each tire (using your legs) and roll it over.
2. Jackie will ensure proper form (back straight, bending with the knees and legs)
3. This is not a race… clients will be told to take their time… it’s about feeling the burn in the muscles.
Station #4 – Sand Bags (x30 each)
Facing one another in two lines, clients will pick up 2 ten pound sand bags for a series of combination arm exercises.
(Bicep Curls, Shoulder Press, Squat Throw, Stationary Lunges)
1. Sand bags will weigh no more than 5 or 10 lbs.
2. Sand bags are made with proper handles
3. Form and intensity are the focus.
4. Jackie will give instruction on form and monitor.
5. There is no sense of urgency when performing the drills.
REPEAT #2 – #4 (X5)
PART 2: Surf and Repeat
Clients will move down to the water’s edge for Part 2 of their workout in the surf.
Station #1 – Surf Dodge and Sprint
From the top of the water line, clients will sprint to the waters edge as the tide recedes and race back to the top of the water line as the water rushes back up the beach.
1. Clients will be wearing sneakers and workout clothes to not hinder their mobility.
2. Sand is hard and they will be running with or against the incline of the beach.
3. If clients fall, they land in ankle deep water.
FINAL Station – “Pull Your Own Weight
Out in the surf are 8 buoys. Each client is told to stand in front of the buoy with his or her initials. Attached to the buoy, on the floor of the ocean, is a net filled with weights totaling the amount each client wants to lose. Using the rope in the sand, they are to pull the weight to shore. Once on shore, clients must drag their bags back to their mat on the beach.
1. Sand is firm but still soft to get leverage.
2. Clients are instructed to use their arms and legs.
3. Form is key
4. Completion is not necessary.