Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
When Nini Nguyen plans a vacation with her loved ones, the Bravo's Top Chef alum has one important preference when it comes to her accommodations. "Whenever I'm traveling, it's really nice to be able to have a Vrbo, where I know I'm gonna have a kitchen," Nini says in the video above. "Whether it's with friends or with family, everyone wants to hang out by the kitchen counter anyways."
Because group trips are all about making the most of time together, one of Nini's go-to vacation recipes is an "easy one-pot dish" that doesn't require hours of cleanup. Of course, as she shows in the video above, the meal is also "stunning."
To re-create Nini's flavorful seafood jambalaya on your next family vacation, watch her demonstrate exactly how to make it in the video and get the full recipe here:
• 1 lb shrimp, shells removed and set aside
• 1 lb cooked Dungeness crab
• ¼ cup oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 bell pepper, diced
• 3 celery stalks, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp Creole Seasoning (recipe below)
• 1½ cups jasmine rice
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• ½ lb squid, cut
• ¼ cup parsley
• Pinch sea salt flakes
- In a paella pan, toast shrimp shells and Dungeness crab in oil until shrimp shells are completely pink. Remove crab and set aside. Use shrimp shells to make Shrimp Stock (recipe below).
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to paella pan and sauté in the oil until onion is translucent. Add the Creole Seasoning.
- Pour an even layer of rice into the pan and toast with vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour Shrimp Stock and fish sauce over the rice and vegetables and bring to a boil. Cover the pan with foil and simmer for 15 minutes over the lowest heat setting.
- Season shrimp and squid with Creole Seasoning and then lay all seafood on top of rice.
- Cover the pan again and cook for another 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Garnish with parsley and sea salt.
• Toasted shells from 1 lb shrimp
• 3½ cups water
- Place shrimp shells in a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
*Use 2 tsp if using a different brand of salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Mix all spices together.
If Nini's vacation recipe has inspired you to book a food-centric getaway with your loved ones, check out these enviable Vrbo vacation homes in some of the United States' top cities for food, courtesy of Vrbo. Whether you prefer to stay in a dreamy bayfront house in Houston, a modern abode in the heart of Denver, a historic designer home in Napa Valley, or any type of residence in between, these Vrbo options will ensure your next getaway is more than memorable.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Napa Valley, California
Want more Top Chef? New episodes air Thursdays at 8/7c or catch up through the Bravo app.
Bravo’s Style & Living is your window to the fabulous lifestyles of Bravolebrities. Be the first to know about all the best fashion and beauty looks, the breathtaking homes Bravo stars live in, everything they’re eating and drinking, and so much more. Sign up to become a Bravo Insider and get exclusive extras.