Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Recipe courtesy L’Apicio
Serves 4 to 6
1⁄2 bunch broccoli rabe
1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 cloves of garlic (germ Removed)
1⁄4 cup parmesan
1⁄2 tsp kosher salt plus more for seasoning water
1⁄2 pound Italian Sausage (uncase before using)
1 Cup diced white onion
1⁄2 cup chicken stock
1⁄4 cup white wine
1⁄2 cup olive oil
12 oz orecchiette
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Generously season the water with kosher salt. Taste the water to make sure it is well seasoned. Blanch the broccoli rabe in the boiling water until bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the broccoli rabe from the boiling water and shock in ice water for about 1 minute. Drain off the excess water and chop it up. It yields about 1 ½ cups.
2. In a food processor add the pine nuts and garlic and chop for about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli rabe, 2 tablespoons of parmesan, 1⁄4 olive oil and 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt. Process until smooth.
3. Heat a 10-12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage and break it up with a spoon as it browns in the pan. Brown off for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the onions and cook for about 3-5 minutes until soft.
5. Add the white wine and cook for about 3-5 minutes until dry then add the chicken stock and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until almost dry. Remove from heat.
6. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add pasta to the sausage mixture sauté together for about 30 seconds to a minute. Add the pesto and finish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and parmesan. Enjoy.