Yolanda Hadid's Ex Mohamed Hadid Is in an Increasingly Contentious Real Estate Battle

Yolanda Hadid's Ex Mohamed Hadid Is in an Increasingly Contentious Real Estate Battle

Gigi and Bella Hadid's father is still in hot water over his Starship Enterprise-themed home.

By Tamara Palmer
Mohamed Hadid Rhobh Broke House

Last year, Mohamed Hadid, who is the ex-husband of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills alum Yolanda Hadid and father of her supermodel children Gigi, Bella and Anwar Hadid, majorly downsized his life. He sold his unreal Bel Air estate (seen in J-Lo's opulent "Dinero" video and in early seasons of RHOBH) for $56 million and moved to a much more modest $4.5 million home in the Beverly Hills Post Office neighborhood.

For years, Mohamed was also building a massive glass house on a 30,000-square-foot property in Bel Air that came to be known as the Starship Enterprise for its Star Trek-esque flamboyance. The project, which began in 2011 with the hopes of becoming a $100 million estate to sell, has been fraught with legal challenges that are becoming increasingly more contentious. In 2017, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges filed against him by the city two years earlier for failing to secure proper permits and ignoring city safety and building department orders. Last year, neighbors brought a civil suit alleging that the construction endangered their properties by weakening the hillside on which the Starship Enterprise sits.

Mohamed was ordered to tear down the Starship, but can no longer afford the $500,000 needed to complete the process, his lawyer told a Santa Monica court on November 13. That didn't sit well with Ariel Neuman, a lawyer representing his neighbors.

“It’s amazing to me because he just bought a multi-million home in Beverly Hills,” Neuman said in court, according to Daily Mail. “We don’t accept this explanation. We don’t accept Mr. Hadid’s word for anything.”

After surveying the construction site personally, L.A. Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan told the court that he has safety concerns.

“If these piles failed and if this house came down the hill, I am positive in my mind that it would inflict severe damage on the properties below, if not destroy them,” Karlan said. “Are these piles structurally safe? What would happen if there was a 6.0 earthquake?”

Daily Mail reported that the civil hearing will be continued on November 20, "when he'll decide if a receiver should be appointed to supervise demolition of the house."

The next hearing for the criminal case, which is expected to rule on whether to go ahead with the city motion to demolish the home completely by April 1, will take place on December 13.

Related Stories
Related Show

Open the door to Bravo's Home & Design and you'll peek inside fabulous mansions, browse coveted décor, and discover the essential home products you never knew you couldn't live without. Like us on Facebook for more inspiration.

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet