If there's one thing the Internet loves, it’s a craze inspired by mythical creatures and the full color spectrum. With everything from rainbow bagels to unicorn frappucinos, it seems like Instagram can’t get enough of the color trends.
Well, here's a trend that's easy for you to recreate at home—mermaid gummy candies. These sweet and sparkly gummy treats are ridiculously easy to make. In this recipe, powdered gelatin transforms any sweetened beverage, such as coconut water or your favorite sports drink, into colorful mermaid-approved chewy treats.
Best of all, you don't need to add food coloring to create different colors; the candies will be the same color as the drink you use. Make a variety of gummies in cool ocean colors using different colored drinks, and use different candy molds to create an assortment of cute shapes. For an extra glamorous touch, brush the treats with edible disco glitter (found at cake supply stores) before serving—not because it’s necessary, but because it’s for that all-essential ‘gram!
Makes about 10
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet gelatin
- 1/2 cup non-carbonated beverage of choice, such as lemonade, coconut water, juice, or a sports drink
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and set over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until the sugar and gelatin dissolve—do not boil! Remove from the heat.
2. Set a silicone candy mold on a flat surface. Working quickly, fill the molds with the liquid, using a dropper or a spoon (be careful!). Remove any air bubbles with a toothpick.
3. Let the gummies set in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Pop the candy out of the molds and brush with edible glitter, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Feel free to double or triple the recipe and play around with different colors and shapes to create a whole array of shimmery mermaid treats—perfect for that viral Insta pic.
The Feast is Bravo’s digital destination for foodies, serving fresh culinary inspo, piping hot celebrity food coverage, diet and wellness trends, plus the kitchen hacks and tools you never knew you needed. Like us on Facebook and visit daily for a curated menu of essential food news, from seriously thought provoking to just plain fun.