The Real Housewives of New Jersey star gives statement following guilty plea.

on Mar 4 - The Dish

Teresa Giudice and her husband Joe plead guilty to fraud charges in a federal court Tuesday, and now the RHONJ star says she is owning up to her prior faults.

"Today, I took responsibility for a series of mistakes I made several years ago," Teresa said in a statement given to People magazine by her lawyer.

She also revealed how the ongoing case has taken a toll on her and her family. "I am heartbroken that this is affecting my family," she said. "Especially my four young daughters, who mean more to me than anything in the world."

Teresa and Joe will be formally sentenced in July. Until then, Teresa won't be saying much to the public. "I have said throughout that I respect the legal process and thus, I intend to address the court directly at sentencing. I will describe the choices I made, continue to take responsibility for my decision and express my remorse to Judge Salas and the public."

Despite their legal issues, Teresa and Joe have remained strong for the sake of their children. Last fall, Andy Cohen sat down with the couple exclusively to discuss the charges.

"I am not crawling under a rock and hiding," she said. "That's not me. I am still going to be the person who I am today and the day I go to court, when we resolve this, everyone will see who Joe and I really are. I am not just running away."

And last month, Teresa continued to remain strong and opened up about the emotional toil the charges took on her family. "I can't just be upset and curl in a ball and just go in a room and lock the door," she said. "I can't. I'm a mom. I have four children."

Bravo is currently in production on season 6 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Watch Joe and Teresa open up to Andy Cohen about their legal issues below.

Related Stories
Is Andy Cohen Anti-Teresa Giudice?
Teresa Giudice: I Can't Be Upset and Curl Up
Melissa Gorga and Teresa Giudice Unite for Their Girls