Brisket Texas Red
Inspired by Artist Merry Calderoni
1 10 lb. Brisket (cleaned and cubed into an inch)
10 ea. Tomato
5 ea. Red bell pepper (charred on grill)
5 ea. Jalapeno (charred on grill)
5 lb. Onion
5 Tbsp. Ground cumin
5 Tbsp. coriander
5 Cans of Tomatoes (chopped, peeled)
2 Cans Tomato sauce
5 Tbsp. Cayenne
10 ea. Spring onions (charred on grill)
1 Head Garlic (sliced)
1 bottle of Mexican beer
Directions for Brisket
1. Sear brisket in a very hot pan, lots of color. Remove and drain fat.
2. In the same pan, start slowly cooking onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper. When they become translucent and soft add roasted tomatoes and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes, stir and then add beer.
3. Add spices and tomatoes, season again lightly.
4. Cook until meat is tender and the chili has a dark red color. Adjust spice with Cayenne.
* Note: Seasoning throughout this dish is what brings the layers of flavor out. Must be tasted and stirred constantly. They say in Texas that a good chili can’t be eaten by the maker when it’s done because you are too full from tasting it!