Top Chef, Season 8, Episode 4, Elimination Challenge, Winner
1. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, cayenne and chermoula. Set aside.
Broth & Potatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat large pot on high heat. Pour in peanut oil, and then add onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, then add garlic and ginger. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until soft and translucent, another 10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle in half of spice mixture, salt to taste and stir until mixed well. Pour in crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 1 hour. Strain broth, then puree solids with 2-3 cups of broth until very smooth. Strain through fine strainer.
4. While broth is simmering, reserve 2 sweet potatoes for garnish and dice remaining potatoes into 1/4” pieces. Toss in peanut oil, salt and pepper, and roast in 425 degree oven until just tender. Set aside to cool.
5. Place peanut butter into medium bowl and slowly whisk in 1-2 cups of broth until mixture is smooth. Pour mixture back into pot with broth.
6. Toss together cooked beans, sweet potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, parsley and mint. Season with salt, spice mixture and lime zest to taste.
1. In shallow bowl, pour broth, the spoon vegetable mixture into the center. Garnish with chopped peanuts, lime juice, lime salt (Zest of 2 limes mixed with ¼ cup Malden sea salt), and sweet potato chips (Cut whole sweet potatoes into ½“ thick pieces. Use peeler to make thin ribbons. Fry in 300 degree canola oil. Salt to taste).