Top Chef, Season 9, Episode 4, Elimination Challenge, Winner
1. In a sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the chili peppers and toast for 2 minutes.
2. Place the peppers in a blender with the oregano and cumin, blend for 2 minutes until a smooth powder.
3. In a 7 1/4 quart pot – heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and begin to sear the meat. Brown 1/2 meat and remove. Reserve.
4. Repeat with all the beef. Then deglaze with the beers – reduce beer down.
5. Light a grill to high – meanwhile – slice the white onions into 1 inch rings.
6. Grill onions until charred black. Toss the tomatoes in the olive oil and grill the tomatoes for 5 – 10 minutes until charred too.
7. In the small sauce pan add remaining olive oil, add garlic cloves and cook over low heat for 20 minutes until soft. Once tender, drain oil.
8. In a blender – blend charred onions, garlic and smoked tomatoes.
9. Combine all ingredients in the 7 1/4 quart pot. Beef, onion/tomato mixture, canned tomatoes and spice mix. Season with salt.
10. Cook on medium, adding chicken broth when necessary. Cook for 1 hour or until flavors blend together, and season at the end of cooking.
Roasted Corn Salsa:
1. Pre-heat grill oven high, then turn to medium
2. On a half sheet pan – roll corn and jalapeño in olive oil and season with salt.
3. Grill vegetables for 15 minutes or so… until corn has nice char and jalapeño skins are blistered.
4. Cut corn from the cob and place in medium bowl.
5. Peel the roasted jalapeño and remove the seeds. Add to the bowl with the corn.
6. Combine corn, jalapeño, onion and lime juice in the bowl.
7. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with cilantro.