Top Chef, Season 9, Episode 12, Elimination Challenge
1. Combine garlic and oil in small pot. Bring to simmer and remove from heat. Let cool. Strain. Save oil.
2. In a food processor, combine confit garlic; greek yogurt, and eggs. Blend to incorporate.
3. In a large, chilled mixing bowl, combine both gound meats, egg mixture and all remaining ingredients (except for salt and pepper.) Mix well to blend completely. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Form each meatball, using a 2 ounce scoop. Roll in the palm of your hand to form a log shape.
5. Using half of the cici bean flour, dust each meatball in the flour and set aside.
6. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat, and add the canola oil. Gently pan fry the meatballs on all sides until golden and place in a baking dish.
7. Add the remaining flour to the skillet and stir to form a paste, keeping all the oil. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes whisking to for an even liquid with no clumps. Add the lemon zest and simmer for 10 minutes. Add all of the lemon juice and pour over the meatballs.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes. Season with salt.
Lemon Greek Yogurt:
1. Combine garlic confit, vinegar, olive oil and salt in blender. Blend to combine.
2. Place yogurt and zest in a mixing bowl. Pour in blended vinaigrette and stir to combine.
1. Tear pita bread into small pieces and place on a clean baking sheet. Place in a 300 degree Fahreheit oven until dry.
2. Place dried pita bread into a food processor and grind to make breadcrumbs.
3. Heat a medium skillet over low heat. Add the olive oil and toast the pita crumbs until golden. Season with salt and zahtar.
Black Eyed Pea and Quinoa Salad:
1. In a medium sauce pan, heated over a low flame, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and toast the quinoa for 3 minutes until golden.
2. Gradually add the half of the vegetable stock until the quinoa is translucent. Strain liquid and allow to cool.
3. In a small pot, place the black-eyed peas, bay leaves and remaining stock. Simmer for 20 minutes until peas are tender. Strain and cool.
4. In a blender, combine 1/2 cup olive oil olive oil, vinegar, parsley and garlic powder. Blend until smooth and season with salt.
5. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, black-eyed peas and vinaigrette. Crumble in feta cheese and season to taste.