Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 1, Elimination Challenge
1. Toast sumac, hickory smoke powder, long pepper, and coriander. Crust beef and seal in cryovac bag. Sous vide at 56-degrees C in a thermal circulator until internal temperature reaches 52-degrees C.
2. Meanwhile, rub salt on the outside of the parsnips and roast whole with oil in 350-degree F oven until soft to the touch. Carefully removed flesh from the parsnips with peeler and reserve skin. Put peeled parsnips into vita-prep. Cover with enough cream to make a smooth puree. Season and reserve.
3. For sauce, reduce bourbon, black garlic, shallot, and thyme. Add demi-glace and continue to reduce to sauce consistency. Reserve.
4. Heat together carrot juice, diced carrots, honey, and agar agar. Pour into blender and puree until smooth. Remove and allow to cool.
5. Take parsnip skins and place in dehydrator until crispy (or dehydrate in 350-degree F oven). Brush with bourbon caramel and reserve in air-tight container.
6. Cook sunchokes in chicken stock until tender. Puree until smooth. Season and set aside.
7. When beef is at desired temperature, sear on all sides. Rest beef until ready to plate.
1. Spoon parsnip puree, sunchoke puree, and carrot sauce on plate.
2. Slice beef in half and arrange next to purees.
3. Garnish with dehydrated parsnip skins.