Top Chef: Just Desserts, Season 1, Episode 10, Quickfire Challenge, Winner
Combine all the dry ingredients, and the trimoline in a pot, and mix well. Add the water, and whisk to dissolve. Bring gently to a boil to activate the stabilizer. Let mature and cool to 4C.
Combine the syrup with the puree and the lime juice, mix with a hand blender, and freeze in an ice cream machine to right consistency. Freeze.
Lemongrass Ice Cream:
1. Bring the milk to a boil and infused the ginger pieces, kaffir lime life (cut), and the lemon grass which has been pounded. Steep covered for 30 min, strain, and re-scale to the original milk amount.
2. Combine the dry glucose, ½ the sugar, stabilizer, together, and whisk into the milk mixture at 50C. Bring to a quick boil, and temper into the yolks which has been mixed with the other ½ sugar. Bring back to pot, and cook to 82C, strain through chinois, cool to 40C, and emulsify the butter. Mature overnight to 4C, next day spin.
Berry Meringue Kisses:
1. Warm up the sugar and the egg whites over bain marrie to 50C and whip in a kitchen aid, to make a Swiss meringue. Sift in the berry powder when mixture is luke warm, then whip up until it’s firm, at room temp.
2. With #3 plain tip pipe little kisses onto a tray with parchment, and bake at a low 150F oven until they are crisp. When you remove from oven they will be softer, and then they will crisp up as they cool down.
Lemongrass Poached Rhubarb
1. Make a syrup with all ingredients except the rhubarb, bring to a boil, and cover 30 minutes to infuse. Then strain into a new pot
2. Cut the rhubarb into roughly 2cm cubes and place into a metal container (like a 1/3 pan), pour the boiling syrup right over the rhubarb, and cover the top with plastic. Since the rhubarb is small, this will poach them. If they are getting soft enough, refrigerate right away. Final product should have a little bite to it.
3. Next day before service prep your strawberry pieces into this mixture, so it will have the berry flavor infused into it as well.
1. Mold the strawberry sorbet and the ice cream into ring molds in layers, then when solid frozen, unmold.
2. Place a molded ice cream-sorbet piece in the center of the plate, and garnish with a quenelle of cream. Place meringue piece on top, as well as some of the kisses around it to garnish. Place drained rubarb and strawberry pieces around the ice cream, as a garnish.
3. Place about 50g (2oz) of the consommé in pitchers, to be poured as a soup table side.