Top Chef, Season 6, Episode 3, Quickfire Challenge
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Chef: Laurine Wickett
1. For tomato, drizzle slices with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with chopped thyme. Bake at 300-degrees F for 30 minutes.
2. For potato filling, boil potato with smashed garlic cloves in salted water until cooked through. Meanwhile, heat cream to scald. Pass drained potatoes through a food mill. Mix in hot cream, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, almonds, and lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep warm.
3. For Swiss chard, sauté sliced garlic in extra virgin olive oil until fragrant. Add Swiss chard and a few tablespoons of water. Sauté until done.
4. For “bun,” cut portabella with 2 ½” ring mold. Toss with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Whip egg with 2 tablespoons water. Season flour and breadcrumbs with salt and pepper and set up standard breading station. Bread mushroom in order of flour, egg wash, and finally panko. Carefully drop into deep fry set at 340-degrees F until golden brown.
5. For potato chips, thinly slice fingerling potatoes on a mandolin. Deep fry in 340-degree F oil until golden brown. Drain and finish with smoked paprika and salt.
1. Place one breaded portabella upside down on a plate.
2. Top mushroom with potato puree, sautéed chard, and oven-roasted tomatoes.
3. Lean another breaded portabella right-side up to resemble bun top.
4. Put a pile of potato chips on the side.